Thursday 6 March 2014

Cream of Mushroom Soup (Vegan)

This soup is amazing. My love normally hates soup and always says "If I want a drink I'll drink and if I want to eat I'll eat, but I don't want to drink my food." He even requested that I make it! 




Ingredients:
2 leeks
5 cloves garlic
2 cups cremini mushrooms
2 packages (about 2 cups) shimeji mushrooms
2 roasted portabellas *optional
1 cup roasted broccoli *optional
1 package soft tofu
3-4 cups of unsweetened non dairy milk
2 cups vegetable stock
1/8 cup Braggs liquid aminos
Worcestershire sauce
Chilli powder
Thyme
Rosemary
Pepper
salt


Chop your garlic, leeks and cremini mushrooms. Sauté garlic, 1-2 tbsp worcestershire sauce, leeks and cremini mushrooms over medium to high heat. In a blender or food processer combine non dairy milk, tofu, roasted portabella and broccoli (I had leftover from another night’s dinner so I decided to throw these in, it’s totally optional but it added a nice flavour), 1/8 cup Braggs liquid aminos, and spices to taste, blend until smooth.  I also added a few good spoonfuls of the now cooked leeks and garlic from the mushroom pan to blend in. Transfer liquids to a large soup pot, add veggie stock and heat. Once the cremini’s are about halfway cooked I add in the shimeji mushrooms. These mushrooms add so much texture and really hold their shape well. You can sub for another type of mushrooms but you should be able to find them at your local Asian supermarket. Once mushrooms are cooked and have absorbed all their juices add to your soup pot and simmer. Now you’re ready to serve! I like to serve mine with some yummy vegan biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment