Thursday 28 March 2013

Block Rockin Beet Pizza (Vegan)

Since I can’t get enough roasted beet humus my love and I found another vehicle for it in this awesome pizza. I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out but I was pleasantly surprised. It was extremely tasty with a nice texture and deep flavour. Another win for fake cheese less vegan pizza!

 







Ingredients
store bought pizza dough
cornmeal
coconut or olive oil

roasted beet humus
baby spinach
10 cremini mushrooms
1 yellow or orange pepper
½ onion
mango sauce
large baking sheet - rectangle, round, oval, hexagonal whatever you want


 
First sauté your onions, mushrooms and peppers in some coconut or olive oil. While those are sautéing make up your roasted beet humus. I doubled the amount of beet in mine just because I wanted a stronger flavour for this dish.

In the meantime pre heat your oven to 425. Again feel free to spend the time making your own dough, it really doesn't take that long at all. I found that having to make the dough always put me off making pizza so my love had been gracious enough to find an amazing dough at a local grocery store that meets our needs. The key is to let it reach room temperature before you work with it and don't roll it. Stretch it out with your hands/forearms. A note on handling pizza dough: It is an art. Don't be tempted to throw it up into the air like you've seen on TV. You will end up like the Swedish Chef with the pizza dough on your head or stuck to the ceiling. Don't get discouraged! Practice, practice, practice. You'll get the hang of it.
Grease your pan with some melted coconut oil (make sure you get ALL OVER trust me I've had entire section of dough adhere to my pan before and that's no fun for anyone. Then sprinkle cornmeal over the bottom and lay your stretched dough out on it. Feel free to stretch it out even more to get it to fit into the corners if needed. Poke the dough with a fork which will make sure it doesn't end up with huge bubbles when you bake it. Always, always, always bake your dough a bit first before you add your toppings. This will ensure your dough will be crisp enough to hold up to your toppings. Usually 5 minutes is sufficient.
Once the dough has been baked for about 5 minutes take it out and start to assemble. Spread on your beet humus sauce and sprinkle on as much spinach as you want. Then sprinkle your sautéed veg over the top. I also added sesame seeds just because I felt like it. Then pop your pizza back into the oven and wait the excruciating 15-20 minutes it takes for the crust to brown up. Please check frequently because I don't know how hot your oven gets and a pizza's doneness is kind of a personal preference.
Once you take it out let it sit for another 5 excruciating minutes and then slice up for serving. I use scissors to cut up a lot of things in the kitchen and pizza is one of the best because the topping stay put and you don't have to take it out of the pan to avoid damaging it with a knife or rotatory cutter.


No comments:

Post a Comment