Tuesday 12 March 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Bisque (Vegan)

So my love really isn't a fan of soups. I love a good soup but since I'm alone in this at my house I rarely get to make it. Well this past week red peppers were on sale at our favorite grocery store. We bought 4 and they sat in our fridge for about a week before I finally decided that they were destined for soup. I recently roasted one for a batch of hummus that turned out delish so I figure why not? I didn't have a recipe saved to pull from so I just kinda winged it. It turned out so good my love actually said that he wanted me to make it again! Although I'm sure the popovers I made to go with it didn't hurt my case. The soup turned out super thick and creamy and very flavourful.




Ingredients

4 roasted red shepherd peppers
1 small can diced tomatoes
1 can lite coconut milk
1 can tomato paste
1 can lentils
5-6 cloves garlic
1 onion
hemp seeds
dulse flakes
chili powder
cayenne powder
lemon juice
vegan Worcestershire Sauce


Start by roasting your peppers however you'd like. I put all mine on a baking sheet under the broiler on low turning occasionally until they were soft and the skin was slightly blackened on all sides. Set them aside until cool. They suggest covering with saran wrap to make the skin easier to remove by trapping the steam but I just left them in the oven till I was ready to use them. While the peppers are doing their thing roughly chop up an onion and peel and smash 6 cloves of garlic. Heat up a medium sized frying pan on med-low heat and add some coconut oil and the onions and garlic. The goal is to caramelize the onions and get as much flavour out as possible. Once the onions are softened add about 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce. Finally when the onions are nice and caramelized add about a tsp of lemon juice to deglaze the pan and pour the whole lot into your food processor. If the peppers are cooled deseed and peel them as best you can, no one is gonna report you if you cant get every little spec of skin off, and add them to your processor as well. Rinse your lentils and add them in, keep some aside to add in later if you like some texture to your soups. I set aside about 3 tbsp's worth but really you could just add them all in later if you really like it chunky. Then add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and coconut milk into your processor and blend as much as you'd like. Again how long you blend is a texture preference thing. Once you get your desired consistency transfer the soup to a pot over medium heat. Taste to make sure it's seasoned as you like. I added more chilli pepper and a dash of cayenne to make it a bit spicy. Once it bubbles turn the heat off and garnish with some dulse flakes and hemp hearts.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment